Tuesday, 17 June 2014
Blog #2
Over the course of the semester I have expanded my knowledge on cultures around the world, such as African Americans, Native Canadians and Afghan culture. Many of the main themes that lay in these texts have to do with identity, accepting your identity and being proud of where you came from. I also learned not to judge people simply on what they look like or what background they come from. I though that I had a fairly good knowledge of Natives and their lifestyle because I have been around them my whole life playing either with or against them in lacrosse. This semester, more specifically The Rez Sisters and documentaries such as 8th fire, has shown me a darker side to the lifestyle of Natives living on, or even off the reserve. I also learned about a topic that I was very uneducated about, which is the lifestyle of those living in Afghanistan. Through reading and having seminars every chapter of The Kite Runner, I was introduced to a world opposite to the one I live in. I learned about the terrible and unfair treatment towards women, I learned that there are often wars going on, and even when there are no wars going on, there is conflict within the culture that is Afghanistan. Through reading these texts I have opened my eyes and educated myself on topics I was originally unaware of, which taught me not to judge people solely based on what they look like, and also to embrace my identity because it is who I am.
Labels:
Davis Neal
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment