I don't think I know quite how to define myself. I think that would be a better question to ask my friends, or peers, you might at least maybe a more creative answer. Although some say you know yourself better than anyone, I beg to differ. I only see myself in a mirror, or a photo or video. I don't quite know who I am.
With that said, I guess I'll explain who I'd like to imagine myself as, and what makes me that way.
I'd like to think of myself as genuine, and the over all nice girl. Girls are catty and unnecessary, not just nowadays, that's been their reputation for as long as anyone could remember, it's a given for girls to talk behind eachother's back or have the latest dirty details on everyone and anyone, that would soon turn into something as mean as it possibly could be. On the other hand there's the couple girls who are the total opposite of that, that's how I'd like to imagine myself. I don't like the thought of someone fearing another person because of how mean they are. Now, not saying I've never gossiped or laughed at something I shouldn't have, because if I did, I'd be lying through my teeth. I also like to think of myself as overall quite happy and always laughing and or smiling. With experiences in my life I've learned that life is too short and moments don't last forever, and as cliche as that sounds, it is very true and evident in my life and the people involved in it.
A year ago or so this blog probably would have been alot different, but over this passed year or so there's a few certain people who have come in my life and left and then left and have come back. That taught me alot about myself and how I react and act in different situations, some are not my proudest moments (most). But that has taught me majority of what I'm grateful I know now. I've become more patient and understanding to everything around me, which is something I didn't know I was missing, but something I always needed.
When I think of defining myself, I also often think of music. Music is my ultimate gateway to peace. Now, there's not certain songs that come to mind but certain artists, and how my music varies from country to the latest R&B/Hip Hop Rap "junk". I think that also says something, I'm pretty free flowing, not too fussy.
A couple of my favourite artists consist of , Dallas Green, John Mayer, Mumford and Sons and Iron and Wine. Dallas Green's music helped someone very close to me get through the roughest of times, and I never understood why, until I listened to all of his albums in one day and had no idea how to feel because his lyrics were unreal. His most recent concert I attended and out of all of the concerts I've been to this was by far my favourite, just him and his guitar. Simple. I couldn't help but just sit there and smile.
I think this may be running a little long now, but I hope I got the point across, whatever point I was trying to make.
I think that you have an excellent summary here of one of the reasons why being a teen, especially a female, is so difficult: you become a mirror of the images around you. In a way it is almost unavoidable, and the concept of being unique is almost impossible to fulfill. It can either be comforting (ie. to hide who you truly are), or frustrating as not creating a proper reflection opens the door to criticism. It may be small comfort to know that as you get older, things do have a tendency to get easier. When I first had to get up in front of a class 9 years ago, I was filled with dread and concerned about being judged. Now that I'm a mother I have more important things to worry about, and my image is less of a concern. It's very freeing!
ReplyDeleteIf you get a chance, ask Mr. Hummel about Dallas Green. They went to school together.
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteI think it's really cool that you set yourself apart from being an average person, or in this case, average girl.
ReplyDeleteI think its very interesting to see that you haven't yet figured yourself out, but you do have a certain image in mind of who you would like to see yourself grow to become. It shows you have put a lot of thought into creating this.
ReplyDelete